If you would have the chance of use personalized coffee mugs didn’t you use it? Coffee mugs are one of those cozy objects that makes everything more enjoyable. In the house, at the office, at grandma’s… it’s like the life’s speed change once we are about to sip.
You have not many options about the speed: Its sip or get smeared with coffee (or your favorite drink). Our tempo gets slowed down with a coffee mug, our eyes gets closed, our taste gets like ready, set… its good eh!?
Now imagine if these can be done with personalized photo coffee mugs that can bring even more good associations like your brand or that new product you are about to release.
These photo coffee mugs are ideal for promoting a logo, a new product, a conference… even for a get together kind of family event!
Make everyone smile once you lift it up, ready to enjoy. But how to create a really good one? Let’s get in there now.
Personalized photo coffee mugs sounds pretty cool; but with what images?
Putting a message in your customer’s hands is a fun gift, something you provide without selling anything, so it must be functional and distressed.
It’s a message that gets to the mind, in an easy and pleasant way. the shortest way to get their souls. Rest assure sure your target’s brain will accept the message.
Simplicity. Less is more.
Try to catch their attention with a nice idea, do not think on an image like a sunset just because it is pretty, that doesn’t work, think on an idea and then find an image for it. Have fun and use inner jokes if you have to.
If it’s a logo, and your intention is just brand recognition do not waste the opportunity of use the background to add a complementary idea. It may be a color or a fade image you want to associate with your brand; don’t just use only a logo, don’t be obvious captain.
In a photo coffee mugs you can use photos remember? Use an image that surround or support the idea of the logo.
Let’s say you have a Barber shop logo then the image in the background could be a salon in a monotone of the logo color. Use a background that add more impact, like the sample here:
If it’s an even try to think on a connection or a result of that event, think always with the simile or the metaphor: think always with your lateral thinking.
Be creative: Surprising messages makes people smile.
What about the message? I mean: it’s a coffee mug, not a flyer!
The lesser the better. Be concise, clear and simple. Do not describe your products or capabilities. It’s not and inventory. Choose a phrase over a sentence, a sentence over a list. And, Oh God, do not use bullet points on a coffee mug!
It must be readable from far away, catchy and it should complement the image, do not describe what the image is already describing. That is the secret to be remembered. Image and text complement themselves.
After all its a personalized coffee mug, so do it at your own image and likeness.
What to include?
When you are creating personalized photo coffee mugs for your business, you must include the business face: the logo, if you are using the logo over a photo, must be careful which version of the logo you are using, must be the negative version in white if the picture is dark. Forget about your corporate colors when they are not working over a background: legibility is the name of the game, try to use the white version and gain in clarity instead of grabbing to a useless color gamut for that specific situation.
And this is mandatory, if you have to use something: use the logo; if you run out of phrases, use the logo; if you have no muse to what else, guess what: use the logo my friend!
Besides that, you will need a phrase with a clear text. Be the concise guy in the classroom. Again, be fun and creative.
Be short, try not more than 7 words as a reference. 7 words is the largest you can go to stay focus. Keep that. It must be readable and rememberable.
If , if, and if it’s extremely necessary; use the phone number, or the email, or if you have a website with all that info and services and samples and… everything, then use the website. The shortest version, without the www.
But try not to overwhelm the fun part with a newspaper.
How to design it?
The photo coffee mugs are cylindrical, not flat. Even if we design on a flat surface. We need to have that shape in mind when we design. For example, if we are using a logo, we need to choose from only one side or two sides like front and back of the coffee mug.
Another important aspect is the size. it is basically a rectangular shape. If we are using collage, we need to know that we have enough space for about 3 pictures on a mug.
Coffee Mugs have two main sizes, the more standard: 8.5×3″ and 9×4″
Here is a diagram of the area you will have in order to design them successfully:
When we are designing any piece, we need to take care of a few things:
- The print area; there are two main sizes 8.5×3 and 9×4 inches. There is no point in design something for a letter size when we are actually are using like a third of that surface. So, it would be very useful to use one of our templates (link here) to design based on the final area.
- The safe area: This is the space we keep from the border of our design area. For example, if we are using a phrase or text, try not to get too close so we will look cut, uncomfortable or incomplete, or if we are using a picture try not to leave the important elements of the picture too close to the border.
- The image resolution: It’s important when you design elements to the print you keep the image resolution at 300 DPI at final size, otherwise your image may looks blurry or in low quality specially if you are including text with it because he will become not legible.
- Color mode: Do not use RGB color space, we have to make sure that the file we provide to print is in CMYK, which is the color mode use for the modern presses.
- File type: when you are using files to print, the best option is PDF. This is a format file that can carry images and vectors together. Other popular files like JPG are not as good because is simple a picture of our design, even if its smaller in size, it’s not magic: they are smaller because it reduces the color deep dramatically.
Why to choose coffee mugs?
Because of its advantages:
- Coffee mugs are useful: Is not like a photo, or a postcard where they only function is to be read. Photo coffee mugs are mean for something utilitarian and be more than useful but reusable.
- Can be microwaveable, and “dishwasher-aveable”.
- Portable. It helps you stay warm hydrated anywhere you stay.
- Personalize, thus truly unique.
- It can be very expressive since is printed in full color.
- It’s a gift from the heart, the extra touch.
- The most modern advertising media.
Personalized photo coffee mugs are truly a unique advertising piece we can use in our times.
Always use the logo with an image, or a color associated in the background.
If you have to use text: use a short phrase (no more than 7 words if possible) and be fun and creative. We associate good feelings to things that surprises us, nicely.
Stay away from the borders. If you have to organize a closet, you don’t put things one on top of the other until you have to put pressure to close it (nobody does that except my brother).
Try to use the less contact info you can, usually the website will be enough, if you have one, of course.
Think on a surface that will be cylindrical and design accordingly. The coffee mugs will have 3 sides that can be facing the user. You can used all the way, repeat or complement each one.
Use always high-quality images and your gift will be kept for life.
If still have any any doubt, this link will give you another example of this modern advertising media.
Download free any of these templates.
You will find EPS and JPG files.
Template files may open in 72dpi. Please check the resolution/DPI before placing your artwork over the top.
Download template for 11 OZ Coffee Mug here
Download template for 15 OZ Coffee Mug here